Dear Arthur,

Thanks for your appreciation, and I look forward to your comments.

The Castelfranco duet was indeed published by the Lute Soc but I can't find it - it would help if I knew which issue of Lute News it was in, as I have them all (somewhere!).

The story about Julian Bream is interesting - thanks for passing it on.

Best wishes,

Martin

Arthur Ness wrote:

Dear Martin!

What a wonderful page!  Congratulations, and (of course) thank you for
the nice words. I've been making a few notes, and will send some
comments privately.  I say "comments," because there is little on your
Francesco page with which I would take issue.

As for the third duet about which G. Crona inquired, it has been
published by the Lute Society (UK).
It must be listed in that section about "free music" on their web
site.  It also is in an article on the Castelfranco MS by <first
name??> Rossi in Venice. (I have the citation in a message I recently
sent to a composer in Italy.  I'll send it on to you, since it
contains more information about that manuscript that you may wish to
see.)

By the way, I'm so pleased you resisted calling grand staff
transcriptions of lute music "keyboard."  This is terminology created
in the guitar world, and is inaccurate when applied to lute music.
The harp and marimba, for example, use the grand staff, but their
notation is not called "keyboard."  The grand staff has long been the
accepted way to write down lute music in pitch notation.  The false
terminology causes the uninitaited to believe the transcripions are
adaptations for keyboard.

That Bream recording really did put Francesco on the map.  (I suspect
he was one of the referees who approved my edition for pubication.)
The HUP edition became the Press's "best seller," and outsold books of
music
by better known compsers like Leclaire, Holborne, Sammartini and
Scarlatti.

All of the Francesco works that Bream selected appear in
English sources, although he did use my edition. (That recording is
still available on CD.) He said,  in
a published interview, that he often couldn't fully understand
Francesco's music until he saw my transcriptions. This is mainly
because some guitarists didn't understand the use of barlines in lute
tablatures. Their transcriptions should carry the meter sign of
1/1.<g>

On that CD, Bream considered those English ballad variations as
"settings" (as in a piece of jewelry) for
Francesco's "gems."
=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
             My Web Page: Scores
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/