Dear Martin:
   I found the Francesco Castelfranco duet listed as tablature sheet C 420
   - at least I think it's 420, since the last digit is blurred.
   Thanks for your wonderful Francesco site.  Well done, as usual.
   Best wishes,
   Ron Andrico
   www.mignarda.com
   > Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:25:43 +0100
   > To: arthurjn...@verizon.net
   > CC: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: mar...@luteshop.co.uk
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: New web page
   >
   > Dear Arthur,
   >
   > Thanks for your appreciation, and I look forward to your comments.
   >
   > The Castelfranco duet was indeed published by the Lute Soc but I
   can't
   > find it - it would help if I knew which issue of Lute News it was in,
   as
   > I have them all (somewhere!).
   >
   > The story about Julian Bream is interesting - thanks for passing it
   on.

   > Best wishes,
   >
   > Martin
   >
   > Arthur Ness wrote:
   >
   > >Dear Martin!
   > >
   > >What a wonderful page! Congratulations, and (of course) thank you
   for
   > >the nice words. I've been making a few notes, and will send some
   > >comments privately. I say "comments," because there is little on
   your
   > >Francesco page with which I would take issue.
   > >
   > >As for the third duet about which G. Crona inquired, it has been
   > >published by the Lute Society (UK).
   > >It must be listed in that section about "free music" on their web
   > >site. It also is in an article on the Castelfranco MS by <first
   > >name??> Rossi in Venice. (I have the citation in a message I
   recently
   > >sent to a composer in Italy. I'll send it on to you, since it
   > >contains more information about that manuscript that you may wish to
   > >see.)
   > >
   > >By the way, I'm so pleased you resisted calling grand staff
   > >transcriptions of lute music "keyboard." This is terminology created
   > >in the guitar world, and is inaccurate when applied to lute music.
   > >The harp and marimba, for example, use the grand staff, but their
   > >notation is not called "keyboard." The grand staff has long been the
   > >accepted way to write down lute music in pitch notation. The false
   > >terminology causes the uninitaited to believe the transcripions are
   > >adaptations for keyboard.
   > >
   > >That Bream recording really did put Francesco on the map. (I suspect
   > >he was one of the referees who approved my edition for pubication.)
   > >The HUP edition became the Press's "best seller," and outsold books
   of
   > >music
   > >by better known compsers like Leclaire, Holborne, Sammartini and
   > >Scarlatti.
   > >
   > >All of the Francesco works that Bream selected appear in
   > >English sources, although he did use my edition. (That recording is
   > >still available on CD.) He said, in
   > >a published interview, that he often couldn't fully understand
   > >Francesco's music until he saw my transcriptions. This is mainly
   > >because some guitarists didn't understand the use of barlines in
   lute
> [...]

   Rediscover Hotmail(R): Get quick friend updates right in your inbox.
   [1]Check it out. --