   From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu on behalf of dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us
   Sent: Wed 8/26/2009 5:39 PM
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Edward Martin/who knows?

   > By the way, Milan himself wrote that the Pavans, at any
   > rate, can be repeated- even three times if one wishes.
   Fantsia is a different beast than a Pavan.  Pavan is a dance piece, the
   size of the room used by the dancers for their procession dictates how
   much music will be needed, sometimes it is good for the band to have a
   sequence of pavans ready; perhaps even special pieces for particular
   personages in the procession.
   A fantasia is a work of art music, some art on the part of the
   performer
   is expected.  This includes the possibility of repeated sections;
   however,
   I would expect some kind of embellishment on such repeats.
   --
   Dana Emery