David,

    This reminds me of the Guitar Foundation of America convention I attended
in 2007.  I went to a lecture with Greg Goodheart about the GFA's initiative to
get classical guitar programs in elementary and high schools.  One of the big
obstacles mentioned was the fact that most of the students interested in taking
a guitar class are white males.  Programs that cater to this un-diverse segment
of the student body are a big no-no in the eyes of school administrations in
the US.

    There were only about ten people in this particular lecture (it was 8:00am)
and the discussion had been lively up among all of us until this point.  Two of
the attendees were women and Greg called upon them to give us males their
insight into the situation.  One of the gals started out, "I dunno.  We're just
busy with stuff..." and simply trailed off into an awkward silence.  The other
woman refused to say anything.  Greg was forced to move on to other topics.

    After the lecture, I asked the silent woman - who happen to be my wife -
why on earth she hadn't said anything since I know she has opinions on this
matter.  She said she felt intimidated in a room full of guys.  But she told me
that she feels that more girls don't get into guitar because at that age its so
competitive with the young guys trying to outdo one another showing off how
fast/loud they can play rather than how well they present the music.  A
predominantly male guitar class would present an ueber-competitive and
unfriendly environment.  She also said she's even had a number of her female
teenage guitar students quit their private lessons as soon as they start
dating.  Many times this is because the boyfriend also plays guitar and the
girls don't want to show up/compete with their beaus in musical realms.  Sad.

    In light of this, I thought of how incredibly ironic the next GFA education
lecture was.  The topic was how to incorporate flamenco techniques into a (at
this point, still hypothetical) classical guitar curriculum.  Flamenco, the
presenter told us, was "ideally suited" for a high school guitar course because
it had "dark associations" and, since it involved a lot of fast scales and loud
rasgueados, would create a competitive environment in which the kids would try
to out-do one another because "any teenagers interested in a guitar class will
thrive on that sort of thing"!

Chris