Hi Ed,

      I was at the seminar in 2006 when Toyohiko talked about this technique.
I believe he is on the right track, but still not quite all the way there.
(I'm speaking in terms of re-creating as closely as possible the predominant
historical technique, not the quality of hi work.)  As Anthony's posting shows,
the shape from his thumb to his index finger still describes an arch rather
than an inverted "L."  This is not really found often in the iconography.
Mouton is in the minority but he seems a bit more extreme than Toyohiko.
Furthermore, Toyohiko's wrist is quite flat and comes in at an angle to the
bridge that suggests that perhaps the position has its origin in thumb-under.
Note that even in the picture of Mouton, it is clear that his wrist is curved
and coming out towards the viewer.

     For a very quick and easy sampling of some paintings, check out the pics
in the "History of the Lute" article on David van Edwards' site:

http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/history3.htm

and

http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/history4.htm

Only the Mouton picture and the Wright painting of the "Lady with a Theorbo"
show the thumb slightly curled.  Her thumb is lazy, but even she has her wrist
bent quite a bit and off the top.  THIS is to what Burwell is referring: "That
[right] hand must be riseing in the middle in the forme of an Arche that you
may not smother the Stringes."

Speaking of sources, here are a few more: (translation credits on Wayne's Lute
Page.)

A Varietie of Lute Lessons: "First,let your little finger on the belly of the
Lvte, not towards the Rose,but a little lower,stretch out your Thombe with all
the force you can, especially if thy Thombe be short,so that the other fingers
may be carryed in a manner of a fist, and let the Thombe be held higher then
them, this in the beginning will be hard."  (He goes on to say that those with
very short thumbs can do thumb-under despite the fact that it isn't so elegant
because it is easier!)

Stobaeus: "The right hand is to be held close to the bridge, and the little
finger firmly placed and held down. The thumb is to be stretched out strongly,
so that it stands out almost as a limb [so that it stands out one knuckle] to
the other fingers. The fingers are to be pulled cleanly inwards under the
thumb, so that the sound resonates cleanly and strongly. The thumb is to be
struck outwards, not inwards like the people in the past used to do, and
commonly the Dutch and old Germans. For it has been proved that it is far
better to strike the thumb outwards, it sounds purer, sharper, and brighter,
the other sounds quite rotten and muffled."

Baron: "The right or lower hand, as I will call it, must also be arched and the
fingers held curved and apart, because they are hindered in motion if held
close together. The thumb must always remain outstretched so that is can easily
reach the basses.  As to the question of where to strike the strings of the
lute so that the tone will be powerful enough, it will serve to know that this
must be in the center or the space between the rose and the bridge, for there
the contact will have the greatest effect. The further toward the fingerboard
the strings are struck with the right hand, the softer and weaker will be the
tone - it will lose power, so to speak. However the player can certainly also
move back and forth, once he has the necessary skill, when he wishes to change
[ the tone ] and express something. Those still in the beginning stages will
not be able to do this, for such variation demands considerable assurance."

Another issue to be tackled is how to make an tone that we find musical with
the fingers so curved.  This is exactly what I tell my CG students to avoid
because its nasally and very easy to make a snapping sound.  This is doubly
true on a lute.  Questions yet to be answered...

Chris