I think the point George is making is that questions about minutiae are just that, and perhaps there are more important questions to be asked first. Sure the gear and technical details are interesting to many, but they easily get put before the music. While I'm not the biggest fan of George, I don't think that his choice of pick has a profound influence on the way he sounds.

If I heard Django (ok, not possible, so maybe Stochelo Rosenberg) play a mind blowing solo, I certainly hope I would have the restraint not to ask, "That was great, what kind of pick was that you were using? And how exactly were you holding it? Ahhh.".

On the other hand it can be difficult to ask meaningful non-technical, non-gear related questions. (e.g. "George, if your playing were a tree, what type of tree would it be and why?" or "What was the inspiration for 'I drink alone'?").

----- Original Message ----- From: "vance wood" <vancew...@wowway.com> To: "Lute List >" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 8:19 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: The End of the Golden Age

To someone who plays the instrument (what ever that instrument might be) things like picks, string tensions and string materials become important and interesting questions. As of this day and age discussion over the quality of reproduction Lutes, the way they are strung (octave or unison) and tunings with the use of additional frets are fodder for detailed discussion around here. If the professional being queried about such things thinks those subjects are irrelevant to the music then they are either lying or they do not want to reveal how they get the kind of sound that allows them to play the afore mentioned music in such a way that their performance becomes significant. After all thing are said and done, at least as far as "ancient music" is concerned, composers and their compositions and the matrix within which they occur have been discussed in great detail for many years. What is there about the music that we do not yet understand? What becomes important in this context is the performance; which brings us back to the original premise in the first sentence of this reply. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>