To: <vidan...@sbcglobal.net>; <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:34 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: The End of the Golden Age

  David:
  We have been reading your observations with some interest and wondering
  a little why you chose to make them proximate to our video posting
  yesterday.  The nicely edited video you posted last week did in fact
  inspire Donna to try her hand at making a silk purse from the
  ridiculously bad windows movie maker, which introduced some abrupt cuts
  that were made worse by Youtube.  But we're puzzled why you didn't make
  your comments in reference to your own video.
  Our video was from a session at a local recording venue, which is an
  acoustically pleasing old church.  The audio, which was unedited, was
  by a professional engineer but the video was from a few cheap cameras,
  one of which had an amateur behind it.  Nothing so smooth as the very
  professional steady hand that zoomed so well on your Monteverdi video.
  We really had nothing to prove here - no position on meantone tuning or
  anything else that would have prompted Zappa to say "shut up and play
  your guitar".  We were just interested in the reaction people might
  have if we spent a few moments cleaning up the visuals and shared what
  we thought was some good music played well with conviction and
  commitment.  The experiment has produced some interesting results.
  Yes, we're bridging the gap a bit, as we are professionals who still
  have the true amateur's love for the music, but we are by no means
  new.  (You forget that I used to play in a band with your old chum
  Brad-the teller of stories, so I know I've been around longer.)  A
  difference is that we have not had the funding and support that some
  other early music professionals enjoy.  Our CDs have minimal editing
  because we simply can't afford to go the typical route and piece
  together bits from many takes.  Our CD, Divine Amarillis, was recorded,
  mixed and finished in ten hours of studio time with no edits.  Our
  Oxford CD was made in six weeks from idea to delivery of the
  manufactured CD. Our most recent CD took a little more time but each
  piece was a complete take.  We may be old-fashioned but we think this
  approach gives the music a chance.
  We'll continue to experiment with visuals, since it seems to have
  become the standard, a fact reinforced by your pronouncement, but our
  music is the real thing.
  Best wishes,
  Ron Andrico
  www.mignarda.com