Dowland  was reluctant to publish his most important works. Farewell
Fancy, his masterpiece, was never published, nor was the solo version
of Lachrimae, and there are many more.
When wondering why, I always like to think of Leonardo da Vinci and
the Mona Lisa. He carried it everywhere, and never stopped work on
it, even after retiring to the court of Francis I at Amboise, and
never sold it.
Dowland never released many of his best compositions.
dt

: