Segovia certainly didn't play Bach on any incarnation of lute...unless you
count modern guitars built to a Spanish paradigm as lutes.  Walter Gerwig
certainly deserves some recognition for an early lute-driven effort at Bach.

For what it's worth, the Yepes article in Wikipedia offers "[Yepes] was also
the first person to record the complete lute works of Bach on period
instruments (14-course baroque lute)."

That same Wikipedia also offers this review: "[other guitarist's] exciting
and perceptive performances of the lute works, which were recorded between
1981 and 1984, are light years better than the stilted, drab, and often
utterly stillborn interpretations of Narciso Yepes, who does not sound by
any means comfortable playing the lute (American record guide, 1984)."

Best,
Eugene