Ned,

   I don't know the state of things at the moment, but I'll tell you my
experiences.  Tell the folks at the counter that you want to check it at the
gate (NEVER, EVER, have them put it on the conveyor belt at check in!!!).  When
you get to the gate, tell 'em you want to ask the flight crew if you can carry
it on.  IF - and it depends on the degree of the personal relationship troubles
of the person taking tickets - you can get past the gate keepers, you're almost
assured of keeping in the cabin.  I've never had a crew turn me away.  If you
have a flight case, you won't have this option.

   This worked fine for me bringing my large swan-neck back from Paris in
October on both the international and connecting domestic flights.  Ditto
previous flights from Germany, England and Italy.  On short domestic flights in
smaller planes, I have had to check it at the gate.  I've taken my chances
without a flight case and haven't had any problems.  Of course, this was before
the underwear bomber made the probability of someone such as yourself carrying
an explosive device aboard inside a lute case that much more likely.

Good luck!

Chris