All of this depends on what you can afford, and for those of us in the
   US fitting into all the airline regulations and price cuts.  I flew
   from the San Francisco area to New York City with my orpharion, a few
   weeks ago and because I was using my United frequent flyer miles for
   part of the flight, I was on 3 flights both going and coming = 6
   planes.  Plus it was Winter weather, so I had some delays and plane
   changes.  All the airlines are charging for checked bags and have
   weight limits.  They do not charge for carry-ons.  On the way out I was
   on United and they have a lot of new rules - they will no longer do
   gate checks for anything except wheel chairs and strollers. I had the
   most problem with a flight from Denver to Chicago, where there was a
   "rule book Johnny" at the gate. I ended up asking her about the YouTube
   videos with the Taylor guitar and she seemed to think they were
   entertaining but rules are rules. She tagged my orpharion for a gate
   check, but there was nobody to take it when I got to the gate, so I
   just walked onto the plane. The flight attendant was happy to put it in
   the first class coat closet.
   My theory is that if you start asking these people if you can carry an
   instrument on, they will say no because that is what they have been
   told to do.  It's also better  if you book the flight early, so you get
   on the plane before all the overheads are full.  The instruments are
   odd shaped and if the bin is full of suitcases they are not going to
   move them so your case will fit.
   On the way back from NYC I was on American and Alaska Airlines, where I
   saw quite a few guitar and bass cases, plus something like a French
   horn, in the waiting area.  There were no questions about any of these
   instruments going on the planes, and no announcements about no
   instruments as carry-ons.  So it might be well to avoid United until
   they change their policies.
   Nancy

        Thanks for all the replies to my question about flying with my
     lute.
        You've given my things to consider.  Since my instrument in its
     light
        weight case would undoubtedly fit in overhead storage, it's
     tempting to
        ask to let me take it on board with me when I'm at the gate.  But
     I'm
        hesitant because what if I'm told "no"?  At that point it's too
     late to
        make alternative arrangements.   If airlines are still willing to
     sell
        an extra seat for one's instrument, this surely would be the
     safest -
        but most expensive - method.
        Ned

   Nancy Carlin Associates
   P.O. Box 6499
   Concord, CA 94524  USA
   phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
   web site - [2]www.nancycarlinassociates.com
   Representing:
   FROM WALES - Crasdant  & Carreg Lafar,  FROM ENGLAND - Jez Lowe & Jez
   Lowe & The Bad Pennies,  FROM SPAIN - La Musgana and now representing
   EARLY MUSIC - The Venere Lute Quartet, Paul Beier, The Good Pennyworths
   & Morrongiello & Young
   Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
   web site - [3]http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org