Thanks, Dan.  Ah yes, I see it, now.  With no holes, and that large
   ring around it, I took it to be a pestle.  The way the picture comes up
   on my screen, I can't see the reed-end of it.
   Steve

   From: Daniel Winheld <dwinh...@comcast.net>
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Mon, February 15, 2010 1:55:24 PM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Strange lute in French painting
   It's down at the bottom, next to what appears to be a plate on edge;
   dangerously close to the parsnips. It appears that the bell is of a
   different wood than the body; and on the whole it somewhat resembles
   an extraordinary oboe played extraordinarily well by Gonzalo X. Ruiz
   a few weeks ago- perhaps explaining David's interest :)  -he was
   part of the fine continuo support at one of his "Voices of Music"
   concert.
   And is that an early manifestation of a nice French Rose between the
   two pegboxes- I think only two senses are getting the most play here.
   When's dinner?