Gassenhauer in German?

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Denys Stephens wrote:

> Dear Chris,
> In The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, (London: Macmillan,
> 1980), vol. 3, p. 612, in his entry under Calata Daniel Heartz notes that
> the Italian word "calle" meaning a path or small street and that the
> qualifying words included in titles (e.g. "de strambotti" and "dito
> terzetti" hint at associations with strophic texts.
>
> All of this suggests strong connections with the 'dance song' genre that
> often appears in
> early 16c Venetian sources. Concerning 'non-Spagnola' pieces,The calata
> found in the Thibault
> Ms,which is roughly contemporary with Dalza, doesn't have any other
> description attached to it.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Denys

the next auto-quote is:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that
this or that problem will never be solved by science.
(Charles Darwin)
/\/\
Peter Nightingale                  Telephone (401) 874-5882
Department of Physics, East Hall   Fax (401) 874-2380
University of Rhode Island         Kingston, RI 02881