On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Denys Stephens wrote:

> Dear All,
> Peter Branscombe's entry in The New Grove which opens as follows seems to be
> quite
> clear about the meaning of the word:
>
> 'Gassenhauer
> (from Ger. Gasse: ‘alley’ and hauen: ‘to hew or beat’, ‘to walk’).
> A German street song or urban folksong. The term ‘Gassenhauer’ occurs in a
> musical context as early as 1517 (Aventin: ‘Gassenhawer that are played on
> the lute’) and in a title in 1535 (Christian Egenolff's Gassenhawerlin).
> Hans Sachs mentioned the Gassenhauer along with other types of song (psalms,
> songs of love and war etc.) in the preface to a conspectus of his poems in
> 1567 (Summa all meiner Gedicht vom MDXIII. Jar an bis in 1567 Jar), implying
> that by that date it was a recognized category....'
>
> So the German gassenhauer seems to occupy very much the same territory as
> the Italian dance-song genre. Although it would be a leap of faith to say
> that it's exactly the same thing as
> a calata, there does seem to be a strong correspondence of ideas. I'm glad
> that Peter spotted that as it's helped me to get a better idea of what the
> calata form is about.
Denys,

Great to hear!  I've always argued that you could do anything with a
degree in physics.  Do you think I might be on to something with that one
too?

:))

Thanks,
Peter.

the next auto-quote is:
The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these
shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood
for centuries.
(James Madison)
/\/\
Peter Nightingale                  Telephone (401) 874-5882
Department of Physics, East Hall   Fax (401) 874-2380
University of Rhode Island         Kingston, RI 02881