Interestingly David Van Edwards is left handed and made himself left handed
lutes. However much more importantly he makes the point that the truly
dominant hand is linked with the speech centres in the brain - ie right hand
for right handed and left hand for TRULY left handed who have their brain
symmetry reversed. However some left handed people still have the speech
centre on the side of the RIGHT hand.
David argues that the hand linked with the speech centres is best used for
the plucking hand since this is the "voice" or  "Speaking" hand.
He tried playing "right handed"and found he couldn't
I tried changing to left handed for a while on a guitar because of
Dupuytrens contracture but found it very difficult and fortunately surgery
has cured the problem - at least for now.
Hope David does not mind me feeding this into the discussion
Nick Gravestock