Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im
Auftrag von wikla
Gesendet: Freitag, 10. Dezember 2010 22:06
An: Edward Martin
Cc: Martyn Hodgson; Lute List; Martin Shepherd
Betreff: [LUTE] Re: Re New Savarez harp strings?

Used those for years - they last forever... Never noticed any
inconsistencies in diameters, neither any falsinesses in tuning. The
very thick ones doesn't sound good, though, in the for lute acceptable
tensions... No sharp starting tone like gut, lazyness in gaining the
volume, no "click" there in the touch - nice sound after that anyhow.
Under 130 or perhaps under 120 very ok. I also am very interested, if
this technology is nowadays offered also to thinner than 90 or so
diameters!

Best,

Arto

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:15:19 -0600, Edward Martin <e...@gamutstrings.com>
wrote:
> I tried them years ago, but did not like them.  Tey are clear, and
> have some sort of a clear wrap over a carbon core.
>
> I found them false, and in measuring diameters, they were
> inconsistent in their size, on the same string.
>
> ed
>
> At 07:45 AM 12/10/2010, Martyn Hodgson wrote:
>
>>    Thank you for this Martin and Anthony. These strings are
interesting
>>    as
>>    a further alternative to loaded, wire wound and the 'spring'
string;
>>    especially for those with a large number of instruments to string.
>>
>>     I looked into these Saverez KF strings some time ago (are you
sure
>>    they're 'new' out?) and had reports at the time that they were
simply
>>    PVF(carbon) strings like any other of the same ilk. I'd be
grateful
>>    for
>>    any clarification you can offer.
>>
>>    Martin, you say they only become multi strand above 0.95mm dia but
in
>>    Anthony's message he gives someone using thinner KF strings with
the
>>    implication that they are these new multi-strand type.   'an
example
>>    of
>>    the stringing he uses on a lute or 7c Vihuela :   g' KFN33 - d'
KFN43
> [...]
>>    the
>>    thicker strings, but it seems that it might be worth a try - I
think
>>    Jacob Heringman may have done so.
>>    I think the next size down is .91mm, but it is a plain
monofilament
>>    PVF
>>    string.  I think some people are using them for a unison 5th
course.
>>    Best wishes,
>>    Martin
>>    On 10/12/2010 10:05, Anthony Hind wrote:
>>    >     Dear Theo
>>    >
>>    >       Just recently on the French Lute list, Carlos Gonzales,
>>    president of the Sp
>>    > anish Vihuela society, and lutemaker, has sopoken highly of
these
>>    strings vihuel
>>    > a (President Carlos Gonzales)spoke about this;
>>    >
>>    >     See the thread here,
>>    >     $
>>    >     Re: [Le_luth] Cordes vihuela - demande `a Carlos
>>    >     $
>>    >     [1][1]http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/Le_luth/message/12239
>>    >     $
>>    >     has said that for the last few years he has been using these
>>    Savarez KF
>>    >     strings made specially for harps, as basses for lutes
baroque
>>    guitars
>>    >     and vihuelas. He confirms that they are made up of thinner
>>    strands
>>    >     glued together, and that he finds them "very balanced, as
sweet
>>    as the
>>    >     human voice". He admits that you need to get used to their
>>    thickness,
>>    >     but it remains thinner than pure gut types.
>>    >     He gives an example of the stringing he uses on a lute or 7c
>>    Vihuela :
>>    >     g' KFN33 - d' KFN43 - a KFN52 - f KFN66-33 - c KFN84 - 43,5
- G
>>    KFN 112
>>    >     - 57 - F KFN126 - 62.
>>    >     He goes on to say that his wife has used them for some
years,
>>    >     and
>>    that
>>    >     in his experience, it is hard to come back to wirewounds
after
>>    using
>>    >     them. Although, he says he has heard that some players wax
their
>>    wire
>>    >     wounds to make them less bright.
>>    >     $
>>    >     It seems that at the next  [2]Festival de Musica Antigua at
>>    Gijon, the
>>    >     topic of strings will be on the agenda, and he hopes that it
>>    >     will
>>    be
>>    >     possible to compare these harp strings, with Charles
Besnainou's
> [...]
>>    >     open, with excellent high frequency content (low impedance),
but
>>    they
>>    >     also did add a plasticky sound to the overall sound-mix;
which
>>    was not
>>    >     at all the case with the bowed gut spring strings. I wonder
>>    what
>>    >     extent the KF harps stirings add that plasticky quality, or
>>    whether the
>>    >     fact that they are composites gets round the bell like sound
of
>>    most
>>    >     carbon strings.
>>    >     $
>>    >     Stephen Gottlieb who is reputed for using only gut basses on
his
>>    lutes
>>    >     (mainly those of George Stoppani), mentionned that he had
tried
>>    some
>>    >     carbon KF basses, which he had had to cut down to get
through
>>    >     the
>>    >     bridge holes; but he said they were rather good. I imagine
these
>>    could
>>    >     be the same strings.
>>    >     Regards
>>    >     Anthony
>>    >     epuis quelques annees j'utilise des cordes Savarez KF
conc,ues
>>    pour les
>>    >     harpes "carbone file carbone". En fait se sont les cordes KF
`a
>>    partir
>>    >     du diametre 0,95, au lieu d'etre du monofilament  elles se
>>    presentent
>>    >     sous la forme d'un monofilament avec des tres fins brins
colles.
>>    Je les
>>    >     utilise pour les bourdons et  on peut corder une vihuela,
une
>>    guitare
>>    >     baroque ou un luth sept choeurs sans cordes filees metal. Je
>>    trouve le
>>    >     son tres equilibre et les basses douces comme des voix
humaines.
>>    Il
>>    >     faut s'y habituer aux grosses diametres , meme si en boyau
les
>>    graves
>>    >     seraient encore plus grosses.
>>    >     Un exemple de cordage pour luth ou vihuela `a 7 choeurs: g'
>>    >     KFN33
>>    - d'
>>    >     KFN43 - a KFN52 - f KFN66-33 - c KFN84 - 43,5 - G KFN 112 -
57
-
>>    >     KFN126 - 62.
>>    >     Mon epouse Mabel les utilise depuis des annees, et il faut
dire
>>    >     qu'apres on a du mal `a revenir aux cordes filees metal.
J'ai
[5]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/%7Ewbc/lute-admin/index.html