From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of Herbert Ward [wa...@physics.utexas.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:43 PM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Stability of lute in playing fast.

Below I use the word "jerk" several times.  I suspect
there may be a more elegant and accurate verb.  If
so, please excuse me.

A few weeks ago I watched a bluegrass mandolin player.
This man had won a (Texas?) state bluegrass mandolin
championship, and, as one might suppose, he could quite
fast.

In watching him play, I immediately noticed the large
degree to which his mandolin "jerks around" (for lack
of a better phrase) while he's playing, with no tendency
to jerk less during the fastest and most intricate
passages, or indeed even during the quieter passages.

This contrasts starkly with my modus operandi, which
is to stabilize the lute as much as possible, in order
to give myself a stationary target, especially for
my right hand.

The obvious explanation for this is to suppose that
the mandolin player's hands, and in particular his
right hand, move with the mandolin while he's playing,
and thus negate the effect of the "jerking".  But, in
playing the lute, my right hand is, more or less,
glued to the lute in that my little finger rests
on the soundboard and my forearm rests on the lute's
edge close to the strap button.

All this leaves me fairly confused.  Do all elite
lute players keep their little fingers and forearms
solidly on the lute?  Do they stress this in
their teaching?  Do they present this as part
of the technique needed to play fast?  Do any of
them play with "jerking" lutes?  Have any of this
list's readers worked through this issue personally?

Dan & Rachel Winheld
820 Colusa Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94707

dwinh...@comcast.net