From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On
Behalf Of Martyn Hodgson
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 9:56 AM
To: Christopher Wilke
Cc: Lutelist
Subject: [LUTE] Continuo and the Foscarini Experience

Interesting thoughts Chris - but I don't think people would say 'great continuo playing' if one busked in the style of, say, Scott Joplin in, say, a Bach Mass setting. In fact, the evidence is not as scant as you
  suggest and in practice there are generally acceptable limits for
keyboard continuo practice (often based on what we know of historical practice). As far as I understand from the discussion, the problem is that the 'Foscarini Experience' performance is so far away from what any audience might have heard ('experienced') at the time as to be a
  parody, or rather a travesty, of what the composer may have had in
  mind.

Of course all is not perfect even in the keyboard continuo world and
  some harpsichord players seem to find it hard to resist things like
heavy regular arpeggiation in, say, a Vivaldi slow movement - a sort of grafted on harpsichord concerto but it's still much better than with
  the lute/theorbo where electronic amplification of the individual
  instrument can often be the norm thus allowing a sort of fancy lute
song style accompaniment which in practice would be inaudible without
  the amplification.

   This sort of 'experience' by FE is surely an admission of artistic
defeat rather than a triumph of individualism - by pandering to current
  popular music fashions (much simple rhythmic movement and a lot of
thrashing about) it seems as though the ensemble is trying to generate
  sales by satisfying the lowest common denominator - nothing
  intrinsically wrong with this of course, but hackles must rise when
  it's promoted as being close to what was heard at the time....

  MH