MH you should feel free to suggest and speculate but until you have a
   cold hard fact you should continue to label your speculations as
   such.   For the researchers AJN is referring to, their research has
   reached an end for now on there being only one St luc.  enough!!

   From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu on behalf of Martyn Hodgson
   Sent: Sat 4/2/2011 3:45 AM
   To: A. J. Ness
   Cc: Lutelist
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Saint-Luc again. Was: Foscarini Experience

      Dear Arthur,
      Many thanks for this: I'm acquainted with Vendrix's work (and his
      credentials!) and was therefore rather dismayed he seemed so
   absolutely
      convinced that the very elderly S Luc (born 1616) was the same
   person
      as journeyed across Europe to play in a concert and composed the
   works
      in the Prague and Vienna MSs in an early 18th century style. Others,
   as
      well as I, have questioned this and suggested a son or some other
      relation (or even non-relation) may be another lutenist S Luc. As
   said
      earlier, my current speculation is the elder S Luc's oldest son
   (also
      named Jacques).
      You say that Vendrix states that 'there is no evidence that S Luc's
      sons were musicians'.  It is certainly the case that he says this
   but
      he then goes on to imply by a dodgy logic that this means they were
      definitely not musicians. But, of course, a lack of evidence works
   both
      ways: there is no evidence that they were not musicians - simply
   that
      we haven't uncovered any as yet. This, essentially, is my reason for
      suggesting that more research is required and, certainly, that one
      should refrain from mere assertion which, as you know, can so easily
      become generally accepted; especially if from the pen of a scholar
   like
      M Vendrix.
      I take your point that 90+ isn't at death's door these days and I'm
      sorry Arthur, that you're  upset about this - but, you may agree,
   90+
      was pretty exceptional for 1700.  However more than this, I suggest
   we
      need to be very careful in assuming the elder S Luc was the S Luc of
      the two MSs: it might be the case that he was, but until then I
   suggest
      we need to keep the matter open.
      Finally, I don't know about 'harm' being done,  but if assumptions
   are
      tested and have to be justified that seems to me to be a very good
      thing.
      regards
      Martyn