Dear Greet,

That is really an exhaustive demonstration of the amount, depth and type of
research that has been undertaken in regard to musicians in Belgium.  I
found it particulaly interest that that there were so many musicians named
van den Linden at court. One named Laurent.<!> I also spotted elsewhere a
Vermeulen who was a dancer, but I'm not certain it was Jean. So with
Philippe that makes two
lutenists.  But again a dynastic family, this time mainly dancers, with a
lutenist
or two tossed in for good measure. This is what I mean by dynastic families
of musicians.  Had Jacques de Saint-Luc been a member of such a family,
there would surely be records someplace of his father's and his son's
activities as musicians.

And you make my point about Italian style, with still another lutenist sent
to Italy to study with members of the Piccinini dynasty. I've never heard
any of Zamponi's chamber music, but understand it is very expressive in an
Italianate manner, as I would describe Saint-Luc's..  There is a short
excerpt from his opera ("in the Venetian style") on YouTube.  Saint-Luc's
music is so good, I can't imagine him not being a master of the Italian
style he
inherited while in Brussels.

That Saint-Luc was writing in the "New" Austrian style when he was in
Brussels.  Surely he didn't write 200 pieces in the last years of his life,
after experiencing the "New Austrian
Style."  And in addition to those manuscripts copied for Prince Lobkowitz,
there is at least one other from his Flemish days that is lost.

Incidentally all of the Lobkowitz lute manuscripts formerly in the
University Library in Prague have been returned to the family and are housed
at a castle in Nelahozeves.  The current heir, William Lobkowitz was
born in the U.S. He graduated from Harvard College and has a residence on
Beacon Hill here in Boston.  I've seen pictures of his from his Harvard
days.  He looked just like a sharp Harvard preppie.<g>   Can you imagine
what it must have felt like him to awaken one morning to discover that he
was the owner of a dozen crumbling castles in Czechoslovakia,?  And it was
his responsibilty to care for them and their treasures.  (He got a few
Bruegels to care for, also.)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Greet Schamp" <greet.sch...@gmail.com>