Here weA  go again with this debate.A I play lute and Oud A in a
   medieval ensemble , [1]www.estavel.org.A A I must say, that I like the
   sound of the Oud when playing Cantigas or Livre Vermeil stuff, however
   I move to a fretted luted for later stuff, Dufay, Landini, etc.

   I recently played a Cantigas program on the Oud, and Saz (fretted)
   combined with aA traditional algerianA  andalucian group, it really
   sounded great.

   I do believe I saw an early arabic drawing of a fretted lute, posted on
   this list at some point.A  I think it's safe to assume that both
   co-existed.

   undecidedfretfully

   Bruno Cognyl-Fournier

   [2]www.estavel.org

   On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Martin Shepherd