Jorg,

    I can only partially answer your question from experience.  At one time I
owned a huge theorbo (single strung) with a 99cm string length.  Now I have
thankfully gotten rid of the beast and play on a double strung "toy" with a
76cm fingerboard length.  I usually use synthetic strings, but have used gut in
the past and I feel that there is no sacrifice in terms of volume with the
small instrument.  If anything it is much louder, but this has something to do
with the player.

   I play close to the bridge, which I can only do on the small theorbo.  With
my giant lute, if I tried to pluck by the bridge it was physically impossible
for me to fret notes in low positions.  (I'm six feet tall) By stretching my
arms out I could only just manage to pluck over the rose.  This gave a pleasant
tone, but one that was easily covered in virtually any ensemble. If the piece
gave me enough time and I could alter my posture and position so that I could
pluck a bass note closer to the bridge, it sounded fantastic.  Unfortunately, I
found rarity with which I had time to manage this to be musically unsatisfying.
 And then there were the mistakes from the ungainly lunge back to "regular"
position!  I never had double stringing on this instrument, but I imagine that
the strings would easily jar together because of plucking closer to mid-point
of the string length

   As for slurring and what not, I find this no more difficult with double
stringing over single, but again I'm doing this on a smaller instrument.  I
find it very effective for strumming, which sounds, fittingly enough, like a
big guitar.

Chris

Christopher Wilke
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer