Dear Chris,

can it be, that the historical original to your old theorbo survived, because
it was so big? A luthier just told me some days ago, that we may just know the
more or less extravagant instruments of the old days,  the representative ones
with ivory or impressing ornaments etc. The normal (and maybe the better) ones
were played till they couldn’t be used any more, so we may just know the top of
the range and not the every-day selection. Interesting idea ...

My own instrument may be quite similar to your current one, and the need to
play close to the bridge is a real good point.
Thanks for answering so detailed!

Jörg