On Jun 8, 2011, at 6:36 AM, Catherine Arnott Smith wrote:

> Re: "come" in the sense of orgasm: One of my research areas is the use of
> obscenity to describe health concepts, so I happen to have encountered this
> question before. The OED Third dates this usage to "before 1650" and
> Partridge's Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English to 1600.

I'm surprised by this, obviously, and I don't have an OED 3 or Partridge handy
and won't get a chance to look at either any time soon.  What examples do they
give?

I went electronically searching texts of Restoration comedies (noted for their
loose view of sexual mores) for "come" and "die," and had no trouble turning up
sexual meanings for "die" and no luck finding any for "come."

For example, Wycherley's 1675 play The Country Wife, surely the crassest piece
of sexploitation in the Restoration canon, "come" shows up more than a hundred
times, with no sexual connotation that I can detect, while die appears only in
this line, its sexual meaning obvious:

And now, Madam, let me tell you plainly, no body else shall marry you by
Heavens, I'll die first, for I'm sure I shou'd die after it.