On 30 April 2012 15:19, Roman Turovsky <r.turov...@verizon.net> wrote:
> JSB never played trumpet either, but he wrote for it competently.
> There is sufficient grounds to assume he would have approached lute
> with equal consideration he afforded any other instrument he wrote for,
> given his diligence and meticulousness.
> The lute is the only instrument he showed no understanding of -
> because he never wrote for it.

I just love these statements. Replace trumpet by lute and lute by
tenor. and have the statement uttered by a tenor. Or cello & hobo, or
.. There is a general consensus among musicians that Bach never
really understood their instrument, because however good his music for
other instruments, it's always unplayable on their own instrument.
Visiting a coffe break of an orchestra rehearsing the Brandenburg
concertos is where we hear these most, but even a simple cantata
brings out similar opinions as above. ;-)

David