Sterling,

I'm sort of a lurker on this list, I had started building a lute some years ago - after getting interested by making the Music Maker's flat back to see if I could handle the play. Medical matters have taken me away from the lute, but I retain interest. I still play, and sometimes repair, harps and other stringed instruments.

You say that the split in the soundboard doesn't affect the playability, but it could in the future if it widens. May I make some suggestions from one who deals with wood (I am a wood turner). And if my suggestions are totally out of line in dealing with a lute may I ask the more knowledgeable on this list to say so.

Removing the top and replacing it involves a certain amount of work and expertise. I make very thin hollow forms on my turning lathe, and as they are usually of relatively green wood they often split on the end grain. I rub sawdust into the split, then drip in thin CA glue. This effectively makes new wood as the sawdust and the CA glue meld (not really new wood, but better than glue alone). If you are thinking of removing the top/soundboard anyway, perhaps you should try this first.

As to the ebony bridge, someone suggested grinding it down rather than taking it off. That also sounds like a "good fix" to try. You could make a new bridge and glue it on top of the ground down ebony.

Let me stick my neck out now, in this community of luthiers. There are two basic forms of stringed instruments. The harp is one in that the strings pull directly on the "soundboard". The other form has the strings parallel to the soundboard, and pressing on it over a bridge. That form is separated into two sub-groups - the lyre, psaltery, cithera (zither) is one group and the violin, guitar, lute, etc. is the other. The former have a string for each note, and the latter have a neck and fretboard (whether fretted or not) that allows for fewer strings to make the notes.

These differences are important in the production of the sound. Musical sound involves the overtones of the plucked or bowed string (or for woodwinds and horns, the shape of the air column - but we are speaking of stringed instruments). I'll address the harp first. Contrary to the opinions of most of my harping friends (pun intended) the construction material of the harp body has little effect. The harp strings sing to the open air, and the fullness of sound comes from the direct vibrations that the soundboard, under tension, passes to the sympathetic strings. The harp body is not a resonating chamber, except to the extent that it enhances the vibrations in the soundboard that are passed to other strings. I.e., the soundboard is not a transmitter to the sound in the air.

Now to the bridged instruments. Here the resonating chamber of the body has more effect, and is more integrated into the sound transmission to the air. At the extreme we have the violin bridge, a complex shaping with cutouts so that the bridge itself affects the passing of the direct vibrations of the strings to the soundboard, and therefore the resonating chamber that is the body. At the other end we have psaltery, lyre, and zither - where the body is not so resonant. A solid bridge, and a high tension, and less resonance.

In the middle is the lute group, the plucked instruments with a neck and fretting (in the sense of finger pressure on the string to change the note, not the actual frets). The entire combination of body and soundboard are a resonating chamber, but the bridge is a "passive" pass through (in contrast to the violin bridge). Where the violin is made as a body of the same material the lute group has a body and a soundboard of different material. The goal of the bridge is to pass the vibrations to the soundboard, but it is also needs to be of a harder wood to not wear away from the movement of the strings in tuning.

Perhaps the ebony is too hard, vibrations move at different speeds in different woods (or materials, depending on the density). But I wonder if there is any need to replace the ebony bridge with a more traditional material - it seems to me that it would make a good bridge. Perhaps the amplitude of the vibrations in the wood is reduced with the harder wood, perhaps there is a compromise that resists wear but also retains amplitude. That is pure speculation, but if I had my old shop and "silly scope" I could test it. That would be fun, one of the burdens of old age and a reduced space is the lack of tools.

OK, I've blessed/cursed you all with my ramblings. I'm very curious as to your reactions. In the harp world there is a continuing argument over the "solid" soundboard and the laminate - but it is a bit silly as the "solid" isn't solid. A harp requires that the "long grain" of the wood be across the soundboard, else the tension of the strings would immediately split it (the total tension on a medium sized Celtic harp is over a thousand pounds). To make a solid soundboard in one piece would require a tree of four feet diameter, so they take the solid pieces and put a backing on them - which is a laminate anyway. Which comes back to the split in the lute soundboard, and the "new wood" by gluing with sawdust. Doesn't seem to have affected the sound of "solid" soundboard harps.

One wants to maintain the integrity of the vibrations within the wood, and from one part of the body to another. Small variations won't be heard, it is the overall resonance that is important. I think it is important to understand where that resonance comes from in the various instruments - and they are not all the same. The final object it to put a sound in the air (neglecting amplification and pickups as that is another matter, and one I'm adamant on - music is changed as soon as it passes through any device, even if it is perfectly recorded it still depends on the ability of the speakers, and subtlety is lost). There is but one device that properly interprets the mixed vibrations that we call musical sound, and I'm in awe of it. The human ear can hear a mix of vibrations and separate them, and the auditory portion of the human brain can re-assemble them into the individual sounds. Think of it, you couldn't do that with the best of computers and Fourier analysis. You could break out the individual sine waves of the mixture, but you'd never know which came from the oboe or the flute. It is the re-assembly that is magnificent.

Best, Jon