A contemporary metallurgist probably knows mainly modern techniques.
This is the quotation from "The Early English Copper and Brass Industries to
1800" by H. Hamilton:

Up to the Elizabethan period, copper or brass wire was drawn by hand in Britain
by a very primitive process. One method consisted of two men seated on swings
facing one another with a narrow strip of brass fastened to a belt round each
man's waist. By propelling the swings with their feet they could swing apart
and gradually produce a crude type of wire by stretching the brass. (15) Wire
was also made by the equally laborious process of hammering, until that was
superseded by drawing; this latter process is believed to have been invented at
Nuremberg in the 14th Century. At first, drawn wire was pulled through a die by
hand, but later by machinery driven by water- or horse-power.

Regards

JL

Wiadomo¶æ napisana przez Roman Turovsky w dniu 10 lip 2012, o godz. 19:55: