From:                   Dan Winheld <dwinh...@lmi.net>
Subject:                [LUTE] Re: Capo use on early instruments
Another good point- the only lute for which I built my own capo (pain
in the butt piece of fussy work) was a 72 cm SL "Division" bass lute
that worked very well as an "E" lute (a-415 or 440) with a generous 10
fret neck, and narrow-ish sloping shoulders at the neck-body joint.
But, in order to work, required equal tempered frets. Great instrument
for accompaniment as well as a substantial amount of solo work. But a
58 - 62 cm SL, 8-fret neck tenor lute with meantone fretting? forget
the damn capo!

Dan

On 9/25/2013 4:13 PM, R. Mattes wrote:
>> He makes the point that they did it in this way because the vihuela
>> >had only 10 frets and a capo on the fingerboard would have reduced
>> >this to 9.
> and lutes only had 7 or 8 frets ...

Tom Draughon
Heartistry Music