Bruce Haines is a must read regarding this issue (romantic, modern and
   the Hip approach).

   2013/12/19 Christopher Wilke <[1]chriswi...@yahoo.com>

        This also fits in nicely with Richard Taruskin's often stated
     thesis
        that early music performance practice today is really a modern
        fabrication that seeks to apply 20th (now 21st) century aesthetic
        preferences to past music. Indeed, the technically clean,
     vibrato-less,
        metronomic, inexpressive character of many performances of early
     music
        nowadays seems to be an artistic reflection of mechanized
        industrialization, assembly lines, and the repeatable,
     homogenized
        regularity of product made possible by the use of computers.
        It would be too much of a stretch to suggest that the approach of
        Segovia and contemporaries provides a model of early
     interpretation
        today, but one might be able to argue that, being older, some
     aspects
        of those aesthetic priorities were (un/subconsciously) closer to
     the
        spirit of earlier times than the modern performance dogma.
        "Ah ha!" says the HIP Police Person, "But the Basel crew has
     something
        those bloated philistines of Segovia's generation never deigned
        consider: we base every choice upon..."
        (At this point the HIP Police Person raises eyes and hands to the
        heavens. A ray of golden light shines down and a snippet of the
        scholarly edition of Josquin's Missa "Di Dadi," sung by an
     angelic
        choir, is heard. Apollo on his chariot begins to descend but he
        suddenly gets a call on his iPhone reminding him that he is
     needed for
        a baroque opera rehearsal in Stockholm.)
        "...the SOURCES! Aaaaahhhhhh..." the HIP person sighs with
        quasi-orgasmic relish.
        To which I say: Read all the 19th century treatises you can.
     Absorb
        them. Many are written so clearly, you'll have be able to form a
        perfect aural picture of how the music sounded. Then listen to
     period
        recordings. Suddenly no one is doing they're "supposed" to be
     doing,
        according to their own sources! The picture you formed was
     filtered
        through your own time, not theirs. How great must the gulf
     between our
        current intellectual comprehension and their actual practice be
     for
        music created in a pre-industrialized age, from which no recorded
        artifact survives?
        Chris
        Dr. Christopher Wilke D.M.A.
        Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer
        [2]www.christopherwilke.com
        On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:46 PM, JarosAAaw Lipski
        <[3]jaroslawlip...@wp.pl> wrote:
        WiadomoAAAe napisana przez howard posner w dniu 18 gru 2013, o
     godz.
        23:10:

     <[1][4]dwinh...@lmi.net> wrote:

        >> Is it just me, or is there not something ironic about a
     serious
        minded 21st century LUTE-list member finding a great 20th century
        musical icon (think of him what one will otherwise) "outdated"?

        > Not at all.  Implicit in the whole early music movement is the
        assumption that the mainstream classical approach to early music
     was
        outdated, including icons like Karajan, Stokowski, and yes,
     Segovia.
        Their approach was an early-to-mid-twentieth-century approach
     that
        became outdated when we learned better.

        Sure, but we're not talking about Segovia's early music
        interpretations.
        [2][5]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html