This also fits in nicely with Richard Taruskin's often stated thesis
   that early music performance practice today is really a modern
   fabrication that seeks to apply 20th (now 21st) century aesthetic
   preferences to past music. Indeed, the technically clean, vibrato-less,
   metronomic, inexpressive character of many performances of early music
   nowadays seems to be an artistic reflection of mechanized
   industrialization, assembly lines, and the repeatable, homogenized
   regularity of product made possible by the use of computers.
   It would be too much of a stretch to suggest that the approach of
   Segovia and contemporaries provides a model of early interpretation
   today, but one might be able to argue that, being older, some aspects
   of those aesthetic priorities were (un/subconsciously) closer to the
   spirit of earlier times than the modern performance dogma.
   "Ah ha!" says the HIP Police Person, "But the Basel crew has something
   those bloated philistines of Segovia's generation never deigned to
   consider: we base every choice upon..."
   (At this point the HIP Police Person raises eyes and hands to the
   heavens. A ray of golden light shines down and a snippet of the
   scholarly edition of Josquin's Missa "Di Dadi," sung by an angelic
   choir, is heard. Apollo on his chariot begins to descend but he
   suddenly gets a call on his iPhone reminding him that he is needed for
   a baroque opera rehearsal in Stockholm.)
   "...the SOURCES! Aaaaahhhhhh..." the HIP person sighs with
   quasi-orgasmic relish.
   To which I say: Read all the 19th century treatises you can. Absorb
   them. Many are written so clearly, you'll have be able to form a
   perfect aural picture of how the music sounded. Then listen to period
   recordings. Suddenly no one is doing they're "supposed" to be doing,
   according to their own sources! The picture you formed was filtered
   through your own time, not theirs. How great must the gulf between our
   current intellectual comprehension and their actual practice be for
   music created in a pre-industrialized age, from which no recorded
   artifact survives?
   Chris
   Dr. Christopher Wilke D.M.A.
   Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer
   www.christopherwilke.com
   On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:46 PM, JarosAAaw Lipski
   <jaroslawlip...@wp.pl> wrote:
   WiadomoAAAe napisana przez howard posner w dniu 18 gru 2013, o godz.
   23:10:

   > On Dec 18, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Dan Winheld <[1]dwinh...@lmi.net> wrote:
   >
   >> Is it just me, or is there not something ironic about a serious
   minded 21st century LUTE-list member finding a great 20th century
   musical icon (think of him what one will otherwise) "outdated"?

   > Not at all.  Implicit in the whole early music movement is the
   assumption that the mainstream classical approach to early music was
   outdated, including icons like Karajan, Stokowski, and yes, Segovia.
   Their approach was an early-to-mid-twentieth-century approach that
   became outdated when we learned better.

   Sure, but we're not talking about Segovia's early music
   interpretations.