On 8/4/14 6:12 PM, howard posner wrote:
On Aug 4, 2014, at 1:54 PM, Tobiah <t...@tobiah.org> wrote:

Our ears are in tune with a different set of practices
now (at least the general public).  Perhaps if we looked up from anthropology
It’s not anthropology.  It’s the instruction manual.  If you pay thousands of
dollars for an instrument (and millions of dollars for strings), you should at
least read it.

There's an instruction manual? Why am I spending all this money on lessons?

As a long-time guitar player (~40 years) and a raw beginner on the lute (slightly more than a year), I'm in favor of the pinky on the soundboard position. For me, at least, it makes rest strokes with the thumb easier; and a decent rest stroke with the thumb makes it easier to play a consistently strong melody line.

I can't really discuss right and wrong technique here, since I am a beginner; I can only talk about what works for me. If I tried to play the lute the same way I play guitar, I wouldn't be making much progress.

Doug