Interesting. I think it might have been Ed Martin who came up with the wood
trick. I do the same thing but on the treble side. I guess you get enough
treble with it on the bass side. I’m just surprised. I often jam my mic between
the wood and soundboard (of course there is foam around the mic) rather than
use the alligator clip. I used to put the mic inside the lute, but I think the
sound is better this way and it is quick to change it. I have an upcoming gig
and I think I’ll swap back and forth with Baroque guitar and Ren lute. I need
to find some more of that wood! I had a nice piece Hiro Watanabe gave me that
was the same color as my bridge. Oh, I put a piece of dowel on the end of the
wood because it was impossible to position an alligator clip on the flat wood.
But like I mentioned, I don’t even use the alligator clip anymore.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch
https://soundcloud.com/ed-durbrow