I don’t remember if I learned that from you, I thought it was from Ed Martin,
but he says he used a shim in the bridge for another reason, to raise the
action, IIRC. Anyway, I do the same thing as you, but I use a piece of wood the
same color as the bridge and I put it on the treble side. I usually put the mic
in foam and wedge it between the sound board and stick for maximum volume.

I also have the option to put the mic inside my lute as I had a special pin
designed for the purpose.

On Jan 28, 2015, at 9:02 AM, Christopher Wilke <chriswi...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
wrote:

>   I've been using a lavalier mic for years. No special mount needed:
>   simply put a popsicle stick under the bass courses. (In other words,
>   remove a few strings, put the stick on, then tie them back on over it.)
>   Leave just enough stick for the mic clip. Once it's "installed" it's
>   barely noticeable and you can keep it on for future use if you want.
>   Maybe use a marker to match the wood color of your bridge.
>   I learned this trick from someone on this list long ago. I don't
>   remember who suggested it.
>   The sound is passable but not great. I've only ever used this for
>   background music at social events where people were talking and milling
>   about; I don't think it would hold up for a concert.
>   Chris
>   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan