I've been asked the "couldn't we do it lower in E?" question too many times.

RT

On 10/15/2016 3:10 PM, Matthew Daillie wrote:
On 15/10/2016 21:05, Roman Turovsky wrote:
little squeaky lutes in A are very likely a modern anachronism, considering that the majority of voices work much better with larger lutes tuned a whole 3rd lower - to E, or even D. RT

One does not need to use a 'little squeaky lute in a' to accompany these airs de cour (although I have had the pleasure of playing two 10-courses in a'415 that were anything but squeaky). One should obviously use whatever lute suits the singer.