The accompaniment for all the lute songs in Bataille's prints as from 1608
were conceived for the 10c theorboed lute with renaissance tuning in A.
Mersenne explained the instrument in 1636, as explored by Ingo Negwer in his
thesis in German (Laute und Theorbe in Marin Mersennes Harmonie universelle,
Frankfurt, 2000). The rendering in staff notation is not a transposition.

The style of the accompaniment of 1608 considerably differs from the style
of the courante in Lord Herbert's lute book, which was much later written in
the broken style. Broken does not refer, in this case, to the breaking of
the parts but to the breaking of the melody. That is the characteristic
trait of that style.

In his arrangement, Ron has transposed the chanson down a fifth, but not the
accompaniment. Instead, he has written a new accompaniment along the lines
of the solo courante. And that is remarkable, indeed, for at least  two
reasons.

First, he could easily have transposed the accompaniment just as well,
putting basses up an octave again where necessary. He didn't do that,
dismissing the existing accompaniment for a new one that he wrote on his
own. All is well that ends well, one might say.

But second, the much later courante on the chanson was conceived in the
broken style. That style was used in solo music and not in accompaniment,
precisely because the melody itself is broken rhythmically. That way, the
melody is distinctly and audibly highlighted.

It may be an interesting task to study both Ron's and Bataille's
accompaniments and find out where they differ and why and to which effect.

Mathias