Good point, Howard. But still, twenty seconds is a long time. I am
   certainly only interested in the time before clashing with the next
   note or notes takes place, and that of course depends on the passage of
   music. But generally speaking, even if we halve Mersenne's twenty
   seconds, that is still much longer than even the Savarez string.

     <[2]robmackil...@gmail.com> wrote:

     > So what are we to make of this? The movement in the last decade
     has been to minimise the sustain as long as possible. I'm completely
     on board with this. But if we are to take Mersenne at face value, we
     have been moving in the wrong direction - we should be at least
     doubling the sustain time.
     Could it be that you and Mersenne are talking about different
     things?   You wrote about "useable sustain," which I take to mean
     "how long the note is musically significant or can interfere with
     new notes," or something similar.   Mersenne sounds more like he's
     reporting results of an experiment like the one I just did: pluck
     the string in a quiet room and time how long you can hear it at all,
     which yields a very different number.   Indeed, my total sustain
     time just now was more than double what I would call "useable
     sustain."
     Mersenne was primarily a scientist/mathematician (do a web search on
     him and you'll turn up all sorts of things about prime numbers), so
     we need to be alert to the possibility that he's giving us
     scientific data rather than practical musical information.