I wonder whether English lute songs were ever performed in Romanesque
churches in the Elizabethen era.
Monica

----Original Message----
From: dail...@club-internet.fr
Date: 23/04/2017 22:06
To: "Ron Andrico"<praelu...@hotmail.com>
Cc: "lutelist Net"<Lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subj: [LUTE] Re: Vivat Eliza

It would be interesting to know when Robert Spencer made his comment.
Some years ago now, I suspect, and many aspects of early music
performance have probably evolved positively since.

If a good quality lute in the right hands is played in an appropriate
acoustic (here in France we are lucky to have numerous Romanesque
churches which certainly fit the bill), it is anything but 'nearly
inaudible'. As to the music being 'strange', I have very often noted
how
immediately many even neophyte audiences take to renaissance music.

What is this 'inward' looking you suggest Ron? What ulterior motives
should I be looking for??

Here is a link to an introduction by David Crystal of original
pronunciation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s

I think he makes a very convincing case for the use and
intelligibility
of an early accent. Obviously there was not just one Elizabethan
accent
but that is hardly a reason for downing tools and systematically
adopting R.P., which itself is an obvious instance of your McDonald's
'predictable French fries' (and I am definitely not a consumer of the
latter). In my opinion, pronunciation is every bit as important as
many
other aspects of early music performance for conveying aesthetics,
meaning and emotion and is anything but 'so much window dressing'.

Best,

Matthew

On 23/04/2017 23:28, Ron Andrico wrote:
> While there is a case to be made for singers studying early
>     pronunciation, I have to say I agree with Robert Spencer that the
>     primary objective in performing lute songs to modern audiences is
>     communicate the aesthetic to that audience.  It's really enough
to ask
>     of a modern audience just to sit and listen to strange music sung
>     the accompaniment of a nearly inaudible instrument, let alone
making an
>     otherwise familiar language obscure.   I think those who strongly
>     advocate performing with a (very questionable) "authentic"
English
>     pronunciation to a modern audience should look inward and ask
>     themselves what their real motives might be.
>
>     I, too, am a little tired of singers who learn and perform with a
>     "one-size-fits-all" technique - singing Morley today, Monteverdi
>     tomorrow, Machaut next week and Mahler next month.  While it can
be
>     done, it can't be done well and up to the standard we should
expect.
>     Most importantly, specializing in lute songs means learning to
sing
>     with a natural voice.  Lute songs were nearly always performed in
an
>     intimate, domestic environment, and singing with a modern
projected
>     voice severely distorts the aesthetic of the music, which I
happen to
>     think is much worse than trivial issues to do with pronunciation.
>
>     I don't recall who remarked that, when dealing with "authentic"
>     pronunciation, one must decide which pronunciation.  Regional
dialects
>     abound in every country and from every period.  Deciding on one
>     approved historical pronunciation is following the path of
McDonalds,