   From: Mathias Rösel <mathias.roe...@t-online.de>
   To: lute <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Sat, May 27, 2017 3:04 pm
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: German keyboard tablature
   Dear Arthur,
   That is interesting! Thanks for that. In 1681, father and son Gumprecht
   wrote a letter to the council of Stasburg, requesting that Jean
   Bethune, who was about to settle in Strasburg as an angélique teacher,
   be repelled from town. They seem to have been successful, as nothing is
   heard of Bethune afterwards. That very Bethune was the teacher of
   Marguerite Monin (whose lute book of 1664 in preserved in Paris) and of
   that student who penned down the angélique book that has been
   reproduced and published in facsimile by Minkoff as the only angélique
   tablature so far (F-Pn Rés. 169, manuscript Béthune).
   (Source:
   [1]http://www.accordsnouveaux.ch/de/Instrumente/Angelique/Angelique.htm
   l)
   Obviously, they considered Jean Bethune a rival to Gumprecht the
   younger in matters of the angélique.
   Gumprecht's appointment in Stuttgart as a teacher as from 1688 may have
   been a delayed result of the untimely death of William Louis of
   Württemberg (â  1677). William's widow had been appointed regent and
   custodian to her four children: Eleonore Dorothea (died in 1683 at the
   young age of nine), Eberhardine Luise (1675â1707), Eberhard Ludwig
   (1676â1733), and Magdalena Wilhelmine (1677â1742). At Gumprecht's
   arrival, Eberhardine was 13, Eberhard was 12, and Magdalena was 11
   years old.
   Gumprecht and Eberhard weren't allowed more than five years, as
   Eberhard was declared politically mature at age 16 by the emperor in
   1693. Eberhard became father to Frederick Louis in 1698, crown prince
   of Württemberg (who never became duke, as he died before his father in
   1731). Frederick in 1716 married Henrietta Maria of
   Brandenburg-Schwedt, with whom he had two children: Eberhard Friedrich
   (1718â1719) and Louise Frederica (1722â1791).
   Louise Frederica of Württemberg was granddaughter to Gumprecht's
   student Eberhard of Württemberg. She was 11 years old when her
   grandfather died. Later she married Frederick II Duke of
   Mecklenburg-Schwerin and brought her lute books to Mecklenburg.
   So, if Gumprecht left Stuttgart in 1715, he never came to see and teach
   Louise of Württemberg whose lute books we can study today.
   Mathias