Like Andreas, I've been playing in flat and sharp tunings with one set of
strings. In order to do so, I ordered strings in very low tension.

Mathias

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag
von Andreas Schlegel
Gesendet: Dienstag, 29. August 2017 16:24
An: Matthew Daillie
Cc: lute list
Betreff: [LUTE] Re: Restringing for transitional tunings

I'm playing since years and years some transitional tunings on my 10c lute,
normally tuned in VT, without changing any strings - and other accords
nouveaux lute types which are normally tuned in the nouvel accord ordinaire
(d-minor) withoput changing any string. And it works.
Of course the feeling changes - but I can handle it.
If I make a concert program, I have normally one instrument in the dedff and
the other in edeff and fedff tuning. For the tunings see:
http://www.accordsnouveaux.ch/de/Abhandlung/Accords/Accords_Darstellung/Acco
rds_Darstellung.html
or
http://www.accordsnouveaux.ch/en/styled-5/styled-9/index.html
(the beginning of the translated homepage... the remaining pages and a
better formatted design will follow in the next months...)

It's simply not thinkable that the lutenists of the transitional period
restringed their lutes for every tuning! So we have to find solutions which
are near by the old practice.

By the way: With gut strings it's more comfortable to change tunings than
with modern string materials.

All the best,

Andreas

Am 29.08.2017 um 15:36 schrieb Matthew Daillie <dail...@club-internet.fr>:

> Unfortunately it isn't really possible to play the music for 10-course
lute in transitional tunings without changing a number of strings (or having
a second lute) if you're coming from vieil ton. Even going from one
transitional tuning to another is problematic, especially with respect to
the chanterelle.

> Best,
> Matthew
>
> On 29/08/2017 15:21, Leonard Williams wrote:
>>      I don't play anything of the transitional tuning period, but my
>> experience with retuning between D or C on my eighth course makes me
>> wonder about the need to change strings for retuning.  (I came up
>> [aided by Dan Larsen] with a gimped gut that's not too flabby on the
>> C, not too bright on the D.)  Perhaps it's easier to accommodate
>> variable tuning with higher pitches?  Are different materials more
>> amenable to this? Do you need several lutes, or simply a program
>> arranged from a single tuning scheme?
>>
>> Thanks—just curious,
>> Leonard Williams

Andreas Schlegel