> The new d-minor tuning is said to have cristalized out of all those
> transitional experimental tunings, for being the "best, easiest" to play.

Seems to be a modern evaluation. Not my cup of tea.

> Has there been any research into the when, how and why of transitional

There was a splendid talk about this topic, held by Anthony Bailes before the
British Lute Society in April 2006, to be read in Lute News # 85, April 2008,
p. 8–22.

> and why they eventually resulted in D-minor?

It didn't. The D minor tuning's first appearance in print was in two different
prints of the same year, i.e. Pierre Ballard's Tablatvre de Lvth (Paris, 1638;
used in pieces by Dubut) and in Pierre Gaultier's Oevvres (Rome, 1638). In both
collections, the D minor tuning is one among other transitional tunings.

> Has anyone backward transposed d-minor into vieux tuning to find out if
> Ennemond in fact wrote in it?

I did, though not in order to find out if Ennemond wrote it. Out of sheer
curiosity, I chose his courante La Belle Homicide in A minor and literally
transposed it to the French flat tuning according to Mace who seems to be a
good witness to Gaultier's days, although Mace's book was published so much
later. It turned out and didn't come as surprise that the French flat version
sounds better with even smoother a fingering than with the D minor version. I
hasten to add that this is my personal view.

Mathias