> On Nov 12, 2017, at 5:41 AM, Christopher Wilke <chriswi...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Just curious - How do we know the exact cause of Beethoven's deafness
>   today?

We don't

> I assume doctors of the time didn't possess enough knowledge of
>   the causes of deafness to make a diagnosis.

Nobody did, but there is some raw data in the form of observations by the
doctor who did an autopsy (this is from the web, and I don’t know who
translated it into English):

"The external ear was large and irregularly formed, the scaphold fossa but more
especially the concha was very spacious and half as large again as usual…the
external auditory canal was covered with shining scales… The Eustachian tube
was much thickened, its mucous lining swollen and somewhat contratced about the
osseous portion of the tube… The facial nerves were of unusual thickness, the
auditory nerves, on the contrary, were shiveled and destitute… The convolutions
of the brain were full of water and remarkably white; they appeared very much
deeper, wider and more numerous than ordinary."