The Working Index, that is the product between the frequency of the
     strings and the vibrating string lenght in mt,  can predict when a
     string start to be 'not good enought'.

   I am considering here the case of a plain gut string, not a denser
   versions (wound, loaded, gimped etc etc).
   Generally  speacking, we know that, more or less, the 6th course of a
   renaissance lute can be considered the limit for the sound quality,
   thus the octave is indispensable (Vihuela? In my opinion it had octaves
   on the 5 and 6 courses). The Working Index of a  6th course on a lute
   of 60cms at modern pitch is around 59 Hz/mt.
   So, if the last bass string of the extended neck is around the same
   value, an octave is necessary  (we have the same  working index of the
   6th course) .

   Which is the scale were the working index is same of the 6 course of a
   lute ?

   At the modern  'baroque' pitch of 415  the last bass note is a GG of
   46.25 Hz so:
   59/46.25= 1.27 mt
   In practice we can maybe say that, generally speacking when the
   extended neck start to be less than 1.20-1.30 mt and one uses plain gut
    start to be necessary  the use of octaves.
   Of course, it is question of taste: some find that a dull sound is
   still welcome, other hate that. If one switch to roped catline gut
   strings the  extended neck can be even  a bit shorter than that.
   What it is important here is not to have a black or white vision,  we
   are indeed in a sort of grey area were to define if a sound is good or
   bad is matter of taste, which kind of strings and if the proportion of
   the lutei s the right one (the 1st string is working close to the
   breakage or not?) .  I have  considered a pactical 'rule of thumb'
   having seen that  the 6th course had octaves  while the 5th is still
   matter of taste.
   Mimmo