Hi all,
   While Ron is quite right about the Early Music scene not being terribly
   informal, there are more than a few reasons, the greatest of which is
   noise level.
   When my wife, sister-in-law, and I were playing with the UCONN
   Collegium (Deb and I as townies, Dianne as a student) they were
   gathering each year with the University's chamber choir and brass
   quintet to put on a Renaissance Dinner, which was a 3-evening event on
   the campus for two and in Avon, CT for the third.
   For the loud band and Brass quintet, it was fairly workable. For the
   recorders and viols, it was hit or miss. More than once a night (every
   time, one night of our multi-year experience on campus, and every
   single time in Avon, where the venue allowed the quintet to hover over
   the floor on a balcony) the viols and/or recorders would start up only
   to have the quintet start a few bars into whatever we were playing:
   They perceived that no one was playing because they couldn't hear us
   over the crowd. They were stationed on the opposite side of the dias
   from us, with only the chamber choir intervening.
   When the chamber choir began their official performance portion, for
   which the Collegium provided accompaniment on a few larger songs and
   harpsichord for a few of the solos, and the quintet was scheduled and
   signalled when to start, things worked better, especially since there
   was a fairly free flow of wine during the preceeding dinner portion.
   The proceeds financed travelling concert tours for the chamber choir,
   but provided much-needed exposure for the Collegium, helping to obtain
   grants from which instruments were procured. Although we had a lute, it
   was rarely used for these venues.
   I have provided incidental music for various college functions when I
   worked at Mitchell College, from a nearly hopeless outdoor effort with
   another violist (Boismortier duets during the reception after the
   Granduation, where no mistakes were made, at least, no one could tell
   because no one heard the right notes, let alone the wrong ones, which,
   of course we never played!) Indoor banquets with the viol trio worked
   much better, and we even got requests for business cards from people
   who thought we'd be desirable for private parties, which never
   materialized.
   We did one thing that was an absolute success: We volunteered to play
   Renaissance trios on viols before two history classes and an English
   Lit class who were passing through that era. I highly recommend this to
   anyone who can get their consort (or themselves if they are a solo act)
   to take the time off from the day job or get up before noon: It will
   not be your easiest room, but it will have a lasting effect which you
   will see, the more you do it.
   Our experiences were mixed. I got into the classroom before the class
   entered, drew a timeline on the board, marked where each of the
   composers we'd be performing lived and if possible, when the specific
   part was written. I gave a very short presentation of the instruments,
   all viols, why the tenor and bass looked different (one was a consort
   tenor, the other a german bass), noted the relative sizes, number of
   strings, tied frets, different way of holding the bow. That was enough:
   the tone of   the instruments was enough for the students who had any
   idea what a violin or cello was. One or two students were rivited,
   attentive, and focused through the whole class. They turned out to have
   played instruments in High School. Most of them seemed disinterested.
   One put his head on his arms and stayed moribund through the period,
   others doodled.
   We soldiered on, through the three classes, and my accomplices left for
   home. I went back to work on the college servers. Later, I ran into
   each of the professors who had let us into their domains. I expected,
   at best, a sigh, and a "well, that didn't work." Instead, I was told at
   great length how each student had responded, what they'd said to their
   professor as they left the class.
   The doodlers were art majors. Their doodles reflected their impressions
   of the music. They had a visceral experience and said that it had
   inspired them to get and listen to more of this fascinating music. The
   history majors were all poleaxed. Their idea of music pretty much began
   with Bach = Boring (a sad sad problem) and their interest began after
   Dead White Men stopped writing boring stuff. They were amazed that Dead
   White Men could have written interesting stuff, and some of them found
   a connection to a 400-year period that they'd never been able to forge.
   The most interesting was the sleeper. He was classified as a
   special-needs student, mildly autistic and mainlined. When the music
   started, he couldn't handle the aural and visual input simultaneously.
   His head was down because he wanted to concentrate everything on
   listening, and knew he had to keep the number of tasks he was occupied
   with to a minimum. He remembered composers and their dates, he
   remembered everything I'd said about the instruments and how they
   related to (or didn't relate to) modern instruments, he was charmed and
   excited by it all.
   The most startling was the majority of each class, who sat with
   horridly neutral faces, that look I remembered from the 60's as meaning
   "I'm trapped in this classroom without hope of escape and someone is
   boring me to death". It turns out that they were the ones who had never
   in their entire lives been in the presence of a human being making
   music come from a real natural instrument. Some had seen rock bands
   from across a stadium. A small few had heard someone playing an
   electronic keyboard. Most had heard recordings or radio, none had heard
   classical music of any sort or anything earlier. All had been assured
   through their entire Highschool career that nothing done by Dead White
   Men could possibly be of any use, and that no Woman had been allowed to
   write music before the middle 20th century, and they had been
   oppressed. (Although we didn't have anything from a woman composer in
   our collection, I had mentioned Hildegarde and the Convent musical
   life, had mentioned in passing Vivaldi and the Ospedali (an institution
   far more egalitarian and valuable to Baroque Italy than the Revolution
   was to France).
   All-in-all, it was a labor of love, and it had tremendous effect on the
   students who received the gift.
   When I was in school, in NY, we had an artist-in-residence at the
   northeast SUNYs, and part of their responsibilities included performing
   for every elementary student in the region on each visit. At one point,
   it was a string quartet. One of their tricks was to have a student come
   on stage to play their favorite stringed instrument. I was waiting on a
   new 'cello, ordered but not received by the school system when they had
   their big 3rd-grade music testing thing. I was the one chosen to go up.
   The 'cellist sat me in his chair, leaned his 'cello on my shoulder,
   helped me get a clumsy grip on the bow, and told me at his mark I
   should just drag the bow hairs over the two middle strings. On cue, I
   did, and the first violinist played "The Campbells are coming". That
   kind of program has disappeared from most school systems. Over the last
   half-century, arts, and music have eroded with budgets, and larger
   budgets have almost invariably supported drama and sports. The only way
   we can hope to rebuild an interest in the arts is by voluntary efforts
   of artists and musicians, and amateurs are going to have to take up the
   slack where professional musicians are already overworked and
   underpaid.
   Believe me, Students aren't going to judge your playing good or bad:
   they will mostly be simply amazed to see and hear you.
   ray

   On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 11:32 AM, Ron Andrico <[1]praelu...@hotmail.com>