Some personal observations, If I may:
   People in Convalescent and Recuperation facilities come in two
   varieties, those who are recovering from debilitating injuries which
   limit movement or self-support enough to require that kind of care, but
   not hospitalization, or those who are utterly debilitated or dying and
   for whom care other than immediate hospital facilities are not required
   (or have been refused.)
   In general, these two subdivide in three groups as well: those who are
   depressed by their condition, and those who are not, whether by a
   naturally sunny disposition or Faith.
   And the people you will encounter there are not only those in care:
   they have families who visit, and the staff are not deaf.
   As part of our family's ministry, we visit a nearby convalescent home
   (nearby in Rural Southeastern Connecticut means within 30 miles) with
   members of our church, which makes a very small group indeed.
   We provide
   accompaniment for hymn singing, largely. As many of our family as can
   come do, and depending on our forces, we also sing a few of our
   family-group's songs, among which is Praetorius' Psallite. As with all
   performance which is successful, sensitivity to the needs and minds of
   the audience is as important as 'flogging our stuff'.
   Some of our audience are completely unresponsive in appearance, but
   some of them can still hear and understand. They are usually brought
   because the staff wants them to have some experiences even if it
   doesn't seem like they are. All the rest are their because they choose
   to be. Often, we get their families, as well, some of whom make a point
   now of visiting extra when they know we will be there.
   We have a set time of the month that we come, arranged with the home's
   recreation director. This has the benefit that they know we're coming
   and we know they're going to be expecting us.
   The real point here, though, is that most of these folk are suffering
   and/or sad. They don't need an intellectual exercise in melancholie, so
   we don't do a lot of Renaissance music: the times, they have a-changed,
   and that lovely, noble and serious mode that sounds minor today is
   perceived as sad and mournful. That frivolous mode that was considered
   so inappropriate for Church and State is now considered the noble and
   enjoyable major key.
   I am, I have to admit, appalled by 'serious musicians' who 'didn't get
   a music degree to play elevator music at faires', who 'can't play that
   gig unless I'm paid' and who don't enjoy making music for the pleasure
   of making music. It has long been my feeling that, regardless of their
   fine speeches, such people tend to become lazy, finding that their
   audiences will pay just as much for poor intonation and inattentive
   performance as for the finest work possible, and deciding that they
   didn't get their music degree to work harder for their pittance than
   they have to.
   I find Scottish Country Dance, at least as practiced around here, to
   have the most delightful aspect of any dance I've encountered: Being a
   social phenomenon, the dancers are encouraged to smile to one another,
   despite straight backed, formulaeic moves. The result is surprising: if
   my joints hurt, they hurt less. If my partner is clumsy, the cheerful
   demeanor makes bruised toes more tolerable. And those who watch the set
   pieces from the sidelines enjoy the dance far more than if the dancers
   are concentrating hard and looking cross. I find this caries well into
   music performance, and that those who put themselves to the test of
   remaining cheerful while entertaining others tend to be more able to be
   entertaining when being paid.
   aying paid gigs where you are the center of attention.
   I have yet, in 50 years of reading treatises, to find one that advises
   the musician to adopt an attitude of "I'm better than these cretins",
   encourages inegelant motion, awkward posture and hand positions, or any
   such thing. Perhaps, if Stockhausen wrote for lute, a feral mein,
   clawed hand, hunched posture and grasping business manner would be
   appropriate. Thank God he didn't, then!
   Sometimes we forget, playing instruments which are not in common,
   modern use, that much of their original purpose was entertainment, and
   especially in the Golden Age, both lute and viol were played, in
   chamber as well as among others, by amateurs who sought to entertain
   themselves and others. Even Dowland, whom many see as the Lute's
   greatest composer and performer, turns out to have been employed for
   other and much more important work as emissary, diplomat and perhaps
   even spy. If you aren't enjoying your music, it's very likely you
   aren't alone. If you are too concerned over 'getting it right' to ever
   get around to 'getting it out', maybe you'd be better off with a
   pastime that pays better or better feeds your soul.
   I had a string trio, which became fairly popular among a small
   community, for weddings. We got a gig: playing for the dinner part of a
   Hail and Fairwell at the Coast Guard Academy. The Academy is the
   primary Officer training for the USCG, and they maintain the
   professional Coast Guard Band. It was a daunting gig, to walk into a
   hall where one of the four greatest military bands has played for a
   century, and longer, take out our instruments and play before the top
   brass of the sister branch to my own service. We did it anyway because
   we were both invited, and hay, getting paid. After an hour of Haydn
   trios, a few transcriptions from the viol literature, some Mslivicek
   and a few other lesser-known composers, the officers and their wives
   eating and drinking, a commander, somewhat deep in his cups asked if we
   did requests. We allowed that we might, if we knew it. His request:
   Melancholy Baby. Our violinist complied, but only one verse. He wanted
   more, and she replied, "I only know that one verse!" and he smiled and
   returned to his table. Afterwards, we were complemented on our playing,
   which, as an amateur trio, was quite kind. Sometimes, dealing with
   potential problems cheerfully and/or subtly is more important to an
   audience's likelihood of returning than all your other preparation.
   In almost every performance with early instruments, we've allowed time
   to discuss the instrument. It is far more important to have the
   introduction of an unusual instrument (and the lute is still unusual to
   most people) be short and focused on the one thing that makes it
   different and the one thing that made it appropriate to its era than
   anything else. The  one thing you can't afford to do is to is
   trivialize those two things: otherwise, what reason does your listener
   have to return?
   On Jan 5, 2018 5:28 AM, "Tristan von Neumann"