   From: Dan Winheld <dwinh...@lmi.net>
   To: Wim Loos <wjglso...@gmail.com>; LuteNet list
   <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Mon, Feb 19, 2018 11:54 am
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Broeken nylgut string
   Wim-
   No clue as to cause of the breakage until you supply essential
   information:
   1. String length- nut to bridge?
   2. A= ? 440, 415, 465, 392 - other?
   While stronger than equivalent gut, nylgut (especially the 1st
   generation, dead white stuff) is much more delicate than equivalent
   tension nylon or KF. The later, more yellow New Nylgut is stronger but
   still nowhere near as tough as the other synthetics.
   First thing in any case, get a good magnifier and check the nut and
   bridge for any irregularities that could snag the string, any rough
   spots that could abrade the string, A sharp "V" shape groove, too
   deeply
   cut in the nut is a fine way to jam a string as you fruitlessly try to
   wind it up to pitch. Take care of that stuff first, then assess the
   other factors.
   Dan