Even gut fret is quite expensive if you want a nice slant in fret thickness, and double frets are twice as expensive :)
Sometimes I play 4-6 hours a day and they wear off quite quickly.

A substitute would be highly welcome. I have thought about soaking parcel string in hide glue for frets.
Has anyone tried something that?

Am 09.03.2018 um 11:39 schrieb Martyn Hodgson:
    Indeed. And it also depends whether single fret loops are employed
    (something of a modern fad) rather than the  better, and easier to tie
    firmly, historical double fret loops
    MH

    From: Matthew Daillie <dail...@club-internet.fr>
    Cc: lutelist Net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
    Sent: Friday, 9 March 2018, 9:27
    Subject: [LUTE] Loose frets
    If your frets are becoming loose after a short period then it's
    probably because you didn't pull them tight enough in the first place
    (I am presuming you use gut frets). Make sure that you are giving them
    enough leeway to tighten properly when you pull them towards the
    bridge. They need almost a whole position to get nicely tight, so when
    you put the third fret on, for example, tighten it close to the second
    fret before moving it up the fingerboard. The first fret is generally
    the most difficult to get tight as, due to the peg box, there is less
    room to manoeuvre.
    Variations in humidity can be an issue. If you put the frets on in very
    wet weather and it then becomes very dry, your frets are likely to
    loosen at least a little (fret gut will swell with the damp). Where I
    live, the relative humidity can plummet within a few hours when the
    cold, dry mistral wind blows.
    I think that both Martin Shepherd and Travis Carey have done videos on
    tying frets.
    Best,
    Matthew
    <[1]tristanvonneum...@gmx.de> wrote:

    > My frets move even if I don't want them to move... at least after
    some time. Maybe my knots are not good enough. But once you move them,
    they become loose.