And of course, my experience was also born out by Mace in 1676 who
   gives instructions for double frets, but actually recommends using a
   single fret, because,

   "...it is not only sooner done, and with a shorter string; but chiefly,
   it does (assuredly) cause a clearer sound from the string stopt; which
   must needs be granted, if it be considered, that the string lying upon
   this only round single fret, cannot but speak clear, when as (on the
   contrary) it lying upon two, (as in the double fret it does) it cannot
   be thought to speak so clear, because, that although it lie hard and
   close, upon the uppermost of the two, next the finger, yet it cannot
   lie so close and hard, upon the undermost; so that it must needs fuzz a
   little..."
   Chris
   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

   On Friday, March 9, 2018, 8:52 AM, Christopher Wilke