   From: Silvia Amato <amato.sil...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   To: Matthew Daillie <dail...@club-internet.fr>
   Cc: Ron Andrico <praelu...@hotmail.com>; LS LUTELIST
   <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thu, Mar 15, 2018 7:53 am
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Some questions
   Actually we do have some of them and this is one of the topics that I
   have dealt with in my thesis (modern and contemporary Lute music), it's
   a very interesting research that goes on, looking for new aspects still
   to be dealt with
   Best regards to all
   Silvia
   Inviato da iPhone
   <dail...@club-internet.fr> ha scritto:

   >> On 15/03/2018 01:45, Ron Andrico wrote:
   >> I don't usually bother to respond to your sniping noises,
   >>
   >> There is no stature to be gained by treating the work of others with
   >> disdain while claiming a morally superior position
   >
   > Goodness Ron , those are comments that could definitely have granted
   you a valuable source of introspection. The art of projection never
   ceases to amaze me.

   > Gilbert Isbin's email was quite belligerent in its questioning. My
   post was a straightforward answer. I have nothing against lute players
   composing and performing their own music, I just don't wish to be
   aggressively interrogated as to why I'm not buying or playing it.

   > I never said that I prefer 'old music', just that I don't see much
   'new' lute music out there to compete with the production of the great
   masters. We seem to be forgetting that the lute was THE instrument of
   its age and that many of the works which have come down to us are the
   acme of musical production.

   > I cannot think of a major composer today who only writes for one
   instrument. If we look at 20th century music, very often the great
   instrumentalists commissioned works from contemporary distinguished
   composers. Maybe we need one of today's top lutenists to do the same,
   just as Julian Bream commissioned Benjamin Britten to write Nocturnal
   for guitar (based on Dowland's 'Come Heavy Sleep') over 50 years ago.
   The filter of time has not yet finished its job and we do not know what
   works will survive for prosperity but we can look back at the 20th
   century and find an endless list of great composers (Bartok, Berio,
   Britten, Crumb, Dutilleux, Gubaidulina, Kurtag, Ligeti, Messiaen,
   Prokofiev, Rihm, Shnittke, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, to name but a
   few). Maybe we need a composer of their ilk to write for the lute
   before there is a real renaissance of its music.

   > Then there is the captivating experience of playing music which is
   500 years old and yet speaks to us directly with ineffable force and
   beauty. That fascination, in conjunction with the historical, artistic
   and musicological riches which accompany our music-making, are surely
   the main reasons why most of us took up the lute in the first place.