   From: Alain Veylit <al...@musickshandmade.com>
   To: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Wed, Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: F.W.Rust
   A belated thanks to Arthur for his information on F.W. Rust. I
   foolishly
   attempted a transcription of the C Major sonata for lute and viola in
   notation (see
   [2]https://digital.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/werkansicht?PPN=PPN882226
   452&PHYSID=PHYS_0001&DMDID=).
   It is quite challenging for a number of reasons: handwriting, notation
   shortcuts, unclear harmonies  etc. Reconstituting the lute part is
   tricky. It looks to me that the bass clef has to be understood as being
   one octave down from what one might expect. Without that transposition,
   none of the lute's diapasons would be used... Transposing means some
   tricky arpeggios for the thumb all on diapasons. (see the first staff
   on
   the facsimile)
   Any advice on this issue? I strongly lean towards transposition, even
   though it does not resolve all the problems...
   Alain