   From: Richard Brook <richa...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   To: howard posner <howardpos...@ca.rr.com>
   Cc: Lute net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tue, Mar 5, 2019 10:17 am
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: right hand technique -- bending the pinky
   Actually, and likely off subject, I was thinking of the right hand
   pinky, and (not on the lute) whether you could hold your fingers up and
   bend just the pinky into the palm. I can't without dragging down the
   ring finger,
   I think Pat said Paul couldn't do it. But maybe the test was with the
   left hand. I do recall Paul saying how relaxation was the key to not
   letting your left pinky stick out when playing, and that works.
   Dick

   <[2]richa...@cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

   >> Heard via the late great Pat OBrien Paul O'Dette couldn't bend that
   finger down by itself.

   > To be clear, in Paul's younger days he had the not-uncommon problem
   of having the left-hand pinky stick up when it wasn't in use, which
   kept the fingertip inefficiently far away from the fingerboard.  He
   kept being told, by people who hadn't thought much about it, that the
   solution was to concentrate really hard on keeping it curved, advice
   which would have done more harm than good if he paid attention to it.
   The problem is caused by too much tension in the left hand, and goes
   away when the hand is relaxed, which is what Paul learned from Pat.
   Paul mentioned this in a master class (probably many times).  I never
   heard Pat talk about it, though I'm sure he did.